Male English Voices

Is there any way that male english voices to counter Eleanor Forte can make it into the program?

「いいね!」 1

Personally, I don’t think we’ll see a male English vocal unless Dreamtonics finds an English-speaking business partner. Or maybe they’ll surprise us when the next generation of Synth V comes out. ^^; I am rooting for a male English vocal, though!

「いいね!」 1

I do hope they add more english voicebanks in the future, male and female. It’ll be very disappointing if they don’t, specially considering how good Eleanor turned out to be.

「いいね!」 4

I agree. Eleanor sounds so much better than any Vocaloid. It’d be a shame if this technology was never applied to more English voices. I have no use for Chinese voice banks & very little use for Japanese, so therefore have no interest in purchasing unless said voices became available.

「いいね!」 1

Exactly. I’ve never used a chinese voice bank, and japanese is cool, but we already have enough japanese voices in Vocaloid. I think the focus for Synth V should be english voice banks, one because we barely have any (and the ones we have suck except Eleanor), and two because it’s the most common language in music.

「いいね!」 1

While it would be nice to have at least one English male vocal, there is a way to convert Eleanor’s vocal to sound like a male. All you have to do is render a .wav file of a melody track with Eleanor’s voice singing the lyrics you’ve entered and then open that .wav file with Audacity. Next click on Select and then click All to select the entire track. Then click on Effects and Change Pitch. Another window will appear. On the lower part of this window is a slider. Move that slider to the left until the number -24 appears in the Percent Change field. This will lower Eleanor’s voice by a fourth interval (for example, from a G to a D or from an alto to a tenor). If you want a full octave interval lower (from an alto to a baritone), move the slider until the number -36 appears in the Percent Change field. Then click on OK. Also, make sure that the “Use High Quality Stretching” box is checked. Finally, make sure that you saved Eleanor’s vocal in a key that will result in the final voice being in the correct key for your song.

In a different request for a “Male Vocal” in another category, someone had suggested using the VST plugin Kerovee because it has a “Female to Male” option, but that plugin only works in Windows-based DAWs. Also, according to one reviewer, that plugin adds distortion that makes the voice sound robotic, which is not what I’m after. A much better free plugin that instantly produces the same results as Audacity is Graillon:

https://www.auburnsounds.com/products/Graillon.html

So, as a follow-up to my previous post about using Audacity to convert Eleanor’s voice to a male sounding voice, I did some extensive testing and found out that the best way to obtain a decent sounding male voice from Eleanor’s voice using Audacity is to use the Pitch selection options at the top of the Change Pitch dialog box instead of the Frequency entry fields at the bottom of that same dialog box. I created and tested 6 copies of 3 different “Tension/Breathiness” versions of the song “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” in 4 different keys (C, G, D, and A). In each test, I always selected the first note in the song (C4, G3, D3, and A2) for the “From” pitch and then selected one of five adjacent descending keys as the “To” pitch to convert to. For example, for the C4 “From” pitch, I selected B3, A3, G3, F3., and E3 as the “To” pitch for each of the five copies of this song and kept the first copy intact as my reference. I then did the same thing with all the other versions in the other keys. As a result of my testing, I discovered that the “sweet spot” pitch change range for making Eleanor’s voice sound like a male is 5 to 8 semitones or 3 to 5 major keys. Anything less would not produce a fully male-sounding voice, and anything more would introduce too much distortion. So, the trick is to make sure that the melody for Eleanor’s voice in your song has been first transposed in Synth V to a key that is no more than 5 to 8 semitones above the target key in which you want to have a male-sounding voice, and then to change the pitch downward from there using Audacity’s “Change Pitch” function.

In addition to the above, you need to make sure that the “Gender” setting for Eleanor’s voice is kept at “0” at all times. However, the “Tension” setting can be varied from “0” to “1” and the “Breathiness” setting can also be varied from “0” to “1.” Neither of these should be set to a negative value or distortion will be introduced into the male vocal.

Here’s a link to an MP3 file that contains all 36 male vocal samples that I created with Audacity:

https://app.box.com/s/mbkziwkelul2s4ex06zedxnbb7x7vbq9

Also, check out the other files that I just uploaded to my Box account folder. These files contain all six of the downward progressions from the original four female samples. The first two progressions are unmistakably female, but after those you can hear the voice change to male. Here’s the link to my Box account folder:

https://app.box.com/s/thg25pcwhot9x5bd63utaca6chx8qb38

「いいね!」 1

I posted this comment in another thread on the same topic, so I decided to post it here as well.

This comment is for everyone. During the process of creating a demo of a song for my producer last week that has both male and female vocal parts, I discovered that Synth V already has a male vocal capability built into it, which eliminates the need to do any “pitch shift” post processing to create a male vocal track using a track Eleanor’s vocals in a slightly higher key (5-8 semitones higher) as a starting point per suggestions I made in previous comments on this topic. I don’t know why I didn’t discover this before when I was experimenting with the various settings on the Voice Database dialog box, but I probably didn’t experiment with the the right combination of settings and notes.

Anyway, I uploaded a Synth V file that contains nine variations of the male vocal that you can create from within Synth V. Once again, I’m using the song “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” as my sample melody because it has a one octave melody. In order to cover all of the possible male vocal ranges from bass to tenor (from C2 to C5), I duplicated this melody 36 times so that you can hear what each male vocal variation will sound like in any key you desire. I’ve also included a complete set of these 36 melody samples with the default Eleanor vocal (0 Tension, 0 Breathiness, 0 Gender) for comparison. The only mods that you may still want to make to the male vocal track afterwards are to the tonality so that the lower notes are easier to hear in a song. But this can be done in your DAW using an EQ plugin.

To see what settings you’ll need to create a male vocal track that sounds like one of the samples, you’ll need to have both the Track Manager and Voice Database dialog boxes open at the same time. As you click through each track in the Track Manager, the Tension, Breathiness, and Gender settings will change in the Voice Database dialog box for the track you’ve selected. You can then play the samples for each track from any point in the file that would match the range of notes in your particular song. Here’s the link to my file for you to download from my Box account:

https://app.box.com/s/th32o12h6oe32g0h64zjk4fhrznz3kgx

「いいね!」 1