Feature Request: Visual Cues for Selected Note Name

A cue of some sort indicating what note was selected on the piano roll would be helpful. For example:

• Highlight the piano key of the note that is selected
  • Display the note name at the end of the note (for example, “C#3”)

Audio feedback when inserting/moving the note would be helpful, but I’m guessing that someone is claiming a patent on that “novel” feature. :thinking:

「いいね!」 2
  • Highlight the piano key of the note that is selected
  • Display the note name at the end of the note (for example, “C#3”)

Vocaloid does that already. That’s probably why they’ve been steering away from it. Also, when you click and hold on a note it will make sound.

Vocaloid does that already. That’s probably why they’ve been steering away from it.

Looking at the prior version of Synthesizer V, I see that the behavior was to display the note name of the keyboard based on the position of the keyboard. I don’t know how Vocaloid currently works, but this implementation fundamentally different that how the Tiny Vocaloid Editor presents it.

The idea of using a piano roll as an editor in a musical context isn’t unique, and there is plenty of examples of that in DAWs that predate Vocaloid. Highlighting the corresponding keyboard note based on the y position on the piano roll is also a common UI feature, not something novel by Yamaha.

Not that I’d want to go up against Yamaha’s lawyers. :roll_eyes:

Also, when you click and hold on a note it will make sound.

Thanks. You can click the note on the piano keyboard to hear the pitch, but not the note that’s being edited.