Tenaba - Firelight (feat. Eleanor Forte) [SynthV Original]

Hi everyone, here’s another song featuring Eleanor Forte; an acoustic guitar one! Please let me know what you think.

「いいね!」 2

Oh niiiiiiice, more of this please.

I love that you really paid attention to vibrato editing. Not sure exactly what you’re going for - I’d personally I’d go as realistic as possible for this style. For example, some of the note transitions on “legs won’t let me” at 2:10 still sound a bit digital. And “Burning light” at 4:10.

「いいね!」 1

Thanks again for your feedback. Yeah, the vibrato parameters really do make a difference, especially in this song with notes which are sustained longer. I was also looking for realism overall, yet I also favored the sound of the quick vocal legato on those parts; but I’ll have to watch for notes “jumping out” too much in the future though. Once again, thank you for your advice on tuning!

Very gentle vocals and guitars, thank you for your creation!
(Translate with translator)

「いいね!」 1

Thanks very much for listening!

「いいね!」 1

It’s a nice, soft song!

Of course, you’ve raised the ante for a digital voice by using a very acoustic sounding guitar as the only accompanying instrument. That tends, to my ears, to emphasize the unmistakenly artificial character of the voice. Of course, as a sketch to help in the writing that doesn’t matter at all.

I feel that the song is a bit long and has a tendency to sound monotonous. Why not use a change of key after the guitar solo to add a sense of change and evolution?

Finally, I think that imaging sounds almost like mono, with the guitar and the voice dead center. Also, the guitar tends to clash with some words, making them harder to grasp. Why not pan the guitar to the left, to add some sense of room and space? And after the solo, maybe double it to the right of the voice?

Variation is a key to spellbinding the listener!

Kind regards,

Joachim

「いいね!」 1

Thanks for your feedback! About the panning, you’re correct, the mix is almost entirely mono (with the exception of the solo). I haven’t recorded such a lightweight song before, so I wasn’t entirely sure how to proceed. I would like to preserve balance in the stereo field, which I why I decided to go with mono. Did you mean that you’d prefer the guitar panned left, and vocalist panned right? Additionally, do you think adding the second acoustic guitar wouldn’t be too jarring (both in terms of total amplitude and stereo balance)? I’d be interested in knowing more about how to handle panning with so few elements.

A key change is a good idea too, I’ll consider that in the future as well. I’ve just always had a hard time making them not stick out. But I suppose to break the monotony as you mentioned, it might be necessary.

Thanks for the detailed advice, I appreciate it!

Nicely done. :smiley:

The guitar(s) sound good, as does the vocal.

The use of vibrato and breathiness works, and is especially important because the vocal is so exposed. There are only a few places, like 1:52, the words path and is where it does that Vocaloid-y nasal sound. And at 2:12, on let. But those are exceptions.

The descending bit on the guitar at 4:12 is quite nice. The lifts you give the vocal melody at the end are also very effective.

OK, here comes the IMNSHO portion, which you can freely ignore. :wink:

As a rule, any song that’s longer than 3:20 better have a something that keeps my interest. And that goes double for a song that doesn’t change instrumentation. Yes, I noticed that you changed up the accompaniment quite often. But that’s not quite the same thing.

And when the guitar is the only instrument, having the guitar parallel the melody makes it have even less variety.

The material after the guitar solo is - ignoring the altered cadences - basically the same as that before it. Nothing is driving the song forward at this point, compelling me to listen.

At 3:50, and then again at 4:20, the song could end with no real harm.

But that’s just an opinion that’s worth less than what you paid for, from some random guy on the internet. :crazy_face:

「いいね!」 2

Thanks for the advice. And no worries, I don’t ignore any feedback. It would be nice to change it up on the part after the solo. I’d like to change the rhythm a bit, but my fingerpicking skill is severely lacking. Funny that you mentioned the guitar parallel to the vocals giving it less variety; I actually spent more time learning to play the part at 0:57 to make it match the vocals (avoiding accidental muting was a real pain). What I would have played before learning that would have been much easier lol, but I think as you mentioned, would have added some variety.

And yeah, glad that you liked the vocals. Hopefully I can learn how to avoid the “nasal” sounds you mentioned. I think on one of your songs, there was a comment on blending vowels? Perhaps that would have helped in this song.

Thanks again, glad to have some detailed comments!

「いいね!」 1