Auto Pitch Editing For Eleanor Forte

It would be great if the Auto Pitch Editing option were compatible for Eleanor, since I use her but I’m not very confident in my manual pitch editing skills. Will this feature be implemented in the future? Thank you!

Last I heard, they’re working on a full version of Eleanor. I bet it will support auto parameters. But don’t just wait for auto - get better with manual!

Yeah, I guess this will give me an opportunity to work on my manual pitch editing :sweat_smile: It just looks very intimidating and I never know where to draw all the pitch lines. Do you know of any helpful guides for pitch editing in SynthV? The official Dreamtonics video only shows you where to access the pitch deviation parameter and how it works, but I haven’t found anything explaining how to effectively utilize the feature to make the vocals sound good.

The program itself is pretty straightforward - not too many menus to dig into, so just look at every single one and mess around until you know where everything is and what it does.

For good editing (and it’s not just pitch - pay attention to vibrato, tension…all of it) - That’s more of a musician skill, really. Learn what good pitch curves sound like by listening to singers that you like, and singing those songs yourself, or playing them on an instrument. I learned good vibrato from playing classical music on upright bass, and from studying lots of old Nintendo music. I got a lot of my tension ideas from listening to singers that I like, and working on covers.

And of course…lots of experiment and practice.

I’m hardly an expert, but here are some thoughts:

Pitch Deviation is often used to “humanize” a performance by adding imperfections. At a more macro level, you can adjust pitch Left Duration, Left Depth, Right Duration, and Left Depth. Think of these as scooping into a note - initially missing the note, and then correcting. A poor singer does this because they don’t have control over their voice. A good singer does this in a controlled way, especially if they have a “bluesy” note they want to emphasize.

Vibrato is mostly a function of Pitch Deviation, although the voice is also amplitude modulated (but not in the negative direction). When, how much, and the depth depends on the style. Which is, I know, not terribly helpful.

Loudness is typically a function of vocal effort. A good singer will shape notes. Instead of each note having the same pitch, notes in a group get different intensities to reflect the placement of the beat, or to emphasize a particular syllable. There’s a natural curve to the notes, and intensity may build and decline over the phrase. Each individual note has a curve, with the peaks short notes toward the start to give it “punch”, while longer notes have it toward the end so it “builds” in intensity. A note can have more than one peak, but that can also sound uncontrolled.

Tension is also a marker of effort. It is often varied across a single note, so the note sounds less robotic. You can also use tension to add or remove some of the nasality of phoneme.

Breathiness is typically associated with softer singing. Some air naturally slips past the vocal cords, and untrained singers often have too much breathiness and not enough focus. As such, you can use it to signify more intimate, less professional singer.

I haven’t really explored Voicing, so I won’t comment.

Gender can be used like Tension to alter the timbre of a phoneme. Aim for Masculine to get a darker tone. For long notes, a singer will often open their mouth and drop their jaw, resulting in a “rounder”, more “classical” tone (i.e. in the Masculine direction). Similar to Volume and Tension, you can alter the Gender across a long, sustained note to give it a more lively, less robotic sound.

「いいね!」 2

I tend to rely heavily on my phoneme editing to make the vocals sound good but I really want to start using the parameters, so I think this advice will help a lot! Thank you for these explanations/tips. I’m sure they must have taken a while to write, so I really appreciate it. :blush:

If you’ve got the full version of Synth V, you could try this script: GitHub - dcuny/synth-v-scripts: Scripts for the Synthesizer V program

It attempts to automate a number of these ideas. Be sure you have a backup of your file before you run the script! It makes lots of changes to the parameters.

It’s just a starting point, but I find it easier to drag a single spline control point than to manually draw curves.