Rename "Key Shift" to "Transpose"

The whole Tuning section under Voice seems to be poorly translated.

Under Tuning, there’s the display of the relative pitch of A4. That’s correct.

But it also says Key=, which is incorrect, because in musical terms, Key refers to the scale that music belongs to.

But SynthV is displaying is the sounding key relative to the key of C, which is not the key, and it’s not especially useful information.

For example, if song in written in the key of D major, and transposed up 2 semitones, it would then be in the key of E major. But SynthV would display it as “Key=D”, presumedly because it expects users to write all songs in the key of C major? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So displaying Key here is wrong, and misleading.

It would be nice if SynthV was aware of the key, because it would then do a better job selecting ornamentation, by using notes that belong to the key, instead of apparently picking random intervals.

For example, I entered the D E F# G and chose Ornament Selected Notes… from the menu.

SynthV responds by giving the following ornamentation: C D E F# F G, which show it’s got no sense of key, even though I had set the Key Shift to 2, and it was displaying Key=D (just to check and see of “Key” was taken into account with ornamentation).

That’s essentially the same thing I’d get by rolling dice to choose intervals for notation, which is pretty much the worst way to implement it, because ornamentation doesn’t mean “shift notes randomly and hope for the best”, which appears to be the algorithm SynthV is using.

If SynthV were aware of the key and mode - at a minimum, major, minor and harmonic minor - it would be able to do useful ornamention.

Also, the term Key Shift should be Transposition, which refers to the difference between notation and the sounding pitch. I’ve never run across I’ve never heard the term “key shift” used in
English before.

“Shift key”, yes. “Key shift”, no. :roll_eyes:

「いいね!」 1