The Linux section of the downloads page should be updated

As the title says, I think the Linux section of the downloads page should be updated somewhat.

First, it says that you need Ubuntu 16.04+ 64-bit. This isn’t true. I’m on Fedora and it works; I can launch the software and all. Therefore this line should be changed to something like IDK, a minimum kernel version. (also, I don’t recommend Ubuntu in general because snaps are being forced instead of .debs, and apt isn’t a good package manager because of its messy interface, but maybe that’s not important)

Second, and more importantly, it is a .zip download only. It would be very helpful if there were some packages available, such as a .deb, RPM, or Arch package. For example, we could have Linux users add a repository specifically for SynthV downloads(even if it is for the free version only), so that we could update the software using our distro’s package manager, because using the package manager is much easier and simpler than the Windows-style way of installing and updating software(it also means we don’t have to go through the trouble of creating a .desktop file and using the CLI to mv it to /usr/local/share/applications just so it shows up in our DE’s menu).

For other distros that aren’t accounted for, we could have a tar.gz instead of a zip, because Linux users use compressed tarballs more than they do .zips. Or an AppImage(which creates a folder for the important stuff in the home directory or something), since they are one file and are more portable than folders. For updating this tarball/AppImage, it should download the latest release and automatically replace the current version, because currently it will simply download the zip to Documents and do nothing with it.

This probably sounds kind of petty but as a Linux user I think it’d be good if these changes were made. Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

This is most likely what they test on. As far as software development is concerned, just because it works on other distributions doesn’t mean they have the resources to test and officially support those other distros.

EDIT: Also, I think the unzipped folder should be named something with no spaces, because Linux is more friendly to files with no spaces.

1 Like

First, it says that you need Ubuntu 16.04+ 64-bit. This isn’t true. I’m on Fedora and it works; I can launch the software and all. Therefore this line should be changed to something like IDK, a minimum kernel version.

@claire has covered this. Kernel version has little to do with the software requirement, in this case.

Second, and more importantly, it is a .zip download only . It would be very helpful if there were some packages available, such as a .deb, RPM, or Arch package.

It takes a lot of resources and time packaging for different distros, so I think it’s not worth doing that. That said, there is an AUR package of Basic Edition for Arch, svstudio-bin.

For other distros that aren’t accounted for, we could have a tar.gz instead of a zip, because Linux users use compressed tarballs more than they do .zips.

this is at least a valid point. Thinking about it, we just need a binary tarball that can run in any distro and call it a day - which is essentially what Dreamtonics do, they just didn’t compress as a tarball but a zip file instead. But with the trend of immutable OS and the rise of the Steam Deck, a Flatpak should be considered.

this is at least a valid point. Thinking about it, we just need a binary tarball that can run in any distro and call it a day - which is essentially what Dreamtonics do, they just didn’t compress as a tarball but a zip file instead. But with the trend of immutable OS and the rise of the Steam Deck, a Flatpak should be considered.

Nah, I don’t think a Flatpak would be good, they are big and slow. I think an AppImage would be better, where it creates a folder in /home or something and puts the important stuff there.