Can individual Synth V voice/notes be "previewed" the way they can in Vocaloid6?

Greetings.

I recently purchased both Synthesizer V (plus Natalie and Solaria) and Vocaloid6 and am very happy with both.

In Vocaloid6 it’s possible to click on any of the voice/notes and hear it.

Can SynthV do this too? I’ve tried everything I can think of but haven’t been able to get a sound out of an individual voice/note.

If Synth V can’t do that (for now) can anyone suggest some sort of workaround?

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

:slight_smile:

Best Wishes,
Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

「いいね!」 2

There is currently no feature to quickly preview a note without moving the playhead and pressing play. (related topic: Can Synth V studio basic play a sound of that note when you place it? - dcuny の #5)

Currently the only workarounds involve using scripts (Pro edition only).

This first script can be easily hotkeyed via the settings menu, and when activated will play the current selection: svstudio-scripts/PreviewSelection.js at main · claire-west/svstudio-scripts · GitHub

The second is a “live preview” which will monitor for changes and automatically play notes as they are added or changed. It still has to wait for rendering though, so it’s perhaps a bit too clunky for some users due to the limitations of scripting in SynthV Studio: [Script] "Live preview" — play notes when you change them

「いいね!」 4

I would dearly love to see this feature too.

「いいね!」 3

Thanks Claire.

I see in the “related topic” link you provided that dcuny says:

This was implemented in earlier versions of SynthV, but taken out.

That’s surprising!

Your scripts look interesting. Thanks!
I didn’t know that SynthV could make use of scripts.
I’ll have to read up on how scripts are added/applied!

I see you’ve also created a metronome script!
But I wonder why a metronome isn’t already built into SynthV.

( … a few minutes later … )

Holy Moley!
And all these very handy “hotkey” scripts!

Do you have any video demos of any of your scripts?

Thanks very much for jumping in and helping out.
Much appreciated!

:slight_smile:

Best Wishes,
Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

「いいね!」 3

I seem to remember that Yamaha has a patent on that.

「いいね!」 2

A patent on that function?
But a lot of synths/VST’s have such a function, don’t they?

I suppose a company with deep pockets could CLAIM that their patent is being breached and even get some sort of injunction imposed on its competitor until – after lots and lots of money is spent – it’s found by a court that the patent is not, in fact, being breached … by which time the small company has gone broke. Yes, that can and does happen also.

Perhaps I’ll write to the developers of Synthesizer V Studio Pro and ask them directly why there is not any “click on a voice/note to preview” function.

Should I get a response, I’ll share it on this thread.

Best Wishes,
Prodos

「いいね!」 5

I knew that I had read it somewhere, what I did not remember is that it was Kanru who commented on it here:

「いいね!」 2

Hello,
I saw tutorial videos showing the notes sounding when slected or moved (same sound as wehn we click on the piano roll keyboard), I don’t know how to get this setting in Synth V Pro, I mean I don’t need to hear the voice but just a synthetic sound (like a saw) just to help when the note is moved, it will avoid to have to click on the keyboard on the left side to hear the tonality before placing the note to the correct desired place on the grid. This function exists in all DAW, like in logic, you click a note on the grid then you can hear it and hear it again each time you move it up or down.
Is it feasible with Synth V studio Pro ?

「いいね!」 1

SynthV Studio doesn’t play a sound when notes are clicked or moved. Are you sure the person who recorded the tutorial wasn’t just pressing the keys on their MIDI controller?

Check this video here at around 2:35 min we can see the user moving the note and there a sound

That’s not Synthesizer V Studio, it’s the original tech demo from 2018 which is just called “Synthesizer V”. It’s a different synthesis engine not compatible with any of the current voice databases.

Ok I see that is not the same version, anyway, is there any chance to get similar functionality in a future release of Synthesizer V Studio Pro ?

Oh wow, I just found out today about these scripts. I’ve mapped the Preview Selection script to my F1 function key. Very handy!