piano roll copy paste functionality from DAW to synthesizer V

Is there any way to copy and paste a piano roll from a DAW instrument into synthesizer V so the voice is synchronized with the other instrument and i only need to add the lyrics, this would be a HUGE time saver!

TIA

「いいね!」 1

Currently there is no way to do this, it requires exporting a MIDI file from the DAW and then importing to SynthV.

Rendering also requires saving the wav files from SynthV and then importing those to the DAW, unless your DAW has a “render-in-place” or “bounce track” type feature. Though do keep in mind this will use the output of the live rendering, not the settings from the actual Render panel in SynthV Studio which could be slightly different.

「いいね!」 1

When i import the music file into synth V and i right-click on the track i have the option to set voice, however this doesn’t seem to synchronize the notes or do anything for that matter.

Can you provide me the exact steps to have the voice synchronized with the instrumental track that i implement in synth V so the notes of the instrumental correlate exactly with the notes of the voice?

「いいね!」 1

Your question is somewhat vague, so I’m not entirely sure where the problem is. What do you mean by “synchronize the notes”?

Whether the notes are correct depends on your MIDI file.

You should also make sure you have the same tempo settings in SynthV Studio as in your DAW (Setting Up the Score - Synthesizer V Studio Unofficial User Manual).

Some DAWs like Cakewalk might trim empty space from the start of a MIDI file, in which case you might need to select all the notes and drag them to the right.

If things don’t sound right after all that, the next thing to do is listen to the difference between your vocals and instrumental to identify what doesn’t match up.

「いいね!」 1

Whenever i import a track, the vocal will still need to be created fully manually, is there a way to implement a full piano roll on the vocal track automatically that runs synchronized with the instrumental track? This would save immense amounts of time.

「いいね!」 1

If you are importing a MIDI file from your DAW, this would mean your MIDI file is empty and you are not properly exporting the notes from the DAW.

In your screenshot you have imported a waveform audio file, not a MIDI file. Audio files like .wav, .flac, or .mp3 do not contain individual notes.

If you are expecting SynthV Studio to automatically generate a melody to go with your instrumental, that is not what this software does.

「いいね!」 1

Thank you for the help, you’re right, it worked, I appreciate all the help, thank you so much!

「いいね!」 2

There’s no need to export/import midi files/piano roll at all.
When you have the midi part finished in your DAW, in the same track as your SynthV plug-in is, then you can hit play in the DAW and hit Rec in SynthV, everything will be synchronised.
It’s how I do in Logic Pro.

「いいね!」 4

Interesting! I had considered trying this but wasn’t sure it would work. I expect it’ll usually be faster to export/import the file than to let the whole thing play out in real-time while recording, but this is certainly handy (especially if you only want a small segment of the MIDI instead of the full track).

The routing will probably be different depending on the DAW, but I was able to do this in FL Studio by using a “MIDI Out” instrument and setting SynthV Studio’s MIDI input to the same port.

Because of the playhead sync limitations, I had to press play in the DAW first, then click the Record button in SynthV Studio twice. Here’s a video demonstration:

Thanks for the tip!

「いいね!」 4

You neither have to click record, just hit the “asterisk” (*) on the num pad :wink:

「いいね!」 2

Oh neat, I had opted for clicking because a mouse cursor is easier for people to follow in a video, but using a hotkey does indeed begin recording without needing to press twice.

「いいね!」 2

Not a very usable way to do it…but I guess you did it. :slight_smile:

Have you, or anyone else, tried this with ARA and Logic? I cannot make it work…
I wanted to try ARA since when I try to recording as described above the recorded notes in Synth V are never aligned with the grid. So I must select and move them. No big problem but I thought that ARA Bridge could simplify things but when it is activated recording does not seem to work. :thinking:

The “thing” is not fully ARA working in Logic pro, yet.
Just look forward to further future releases for it being totally implemented in other DAWs other than that in the demo video.

「いいね!」 1

Yes, I am aware of the limited ARA functions in Logic but since it creates an improved sync I thought it could be useful when recording like you suggested.
When you record this way, do the notes get aligned with the grid? Or do you have to select and move all the notes?
Maybe I misunderstand something?

The current beta allows use of the ARA bridge with Logic Pro, meaning improved and fully automatic tempo and playback synchronization.

The ARA bridge doesn’t really do anything new for moving MIDI between the DAW and the plugin.

Even full ARA integration with Cubase, Studio One, or Reaper doesn’t help much with that, because the ARA protocol is meant for working with rendered or recorded audio samples, not MIDI directly. Of course there could be something I’m missing, but there doesn’t seem to be any form of standardized “MIDI clipboard” that Dreamtonics could use to streamline this.

Of course you still have access to the new Voice-to-MIDI feature regardless of ARA support, which does offer a new way of importing a melody.

That said, if your starting point is MIDI in the DAW rather than a wav file, the most accurate way is still just to export and import a file, or record your melody into SynthV to start with so you don’t have to move anything.

「いいね!」 2

Thanks Claire!

I almost forgot how ARA started. Like you say it was really only intended for audio and developed by Presonus and Celemony. Logic was, however, the first DAW to implement ARA (for Melodyne) and it has worked great since 2018 (iirc). So I was very surprised that Logic only got limited ARA functionality but that might possibly have something to do with limitations in the AU-format.

I sent an email to Dreamtonics support about this and got a reply that the questions had been forwarded to the developers! Let’s hope there will be improved integration in the next beta!

For now, I will probably just export midi files.

「いいね!」 2

Today I finally tried this in Logic with ARA bridge (beta2) and it works great! Thanks for this brilliant and timesaving method! :grinning: