Lest we forget voice genres

I just heard BBC Radio 6 music prog. and it reminded me of the huge range of vocal sounds from the human voice. Just to get away from the screaming Sailor Twist style

BBC Radio 6 Music - The First Time With..., Sinéad O'Connor Sinead O Connor shares her choices.

Hour before was a selection from Mavis Staples 6 Music Stories - The Amazing Mavis Staples - BBC Sounds
Album The Voice - YouTube

and a real blast from Mahalia Jackson Mahalia Jackson | Best Mahalia Jackson Gospel Songs 2022 | Mahalia Jackson Songs Hits Playlist - YouTube

Just a sprinkling of reality at 3am away from my DAW :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You are an owl like me.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m looking forward to the future when even more vocal variation is possible [I hope] with Synth V. It would give us even more choice of how to express a lyric.

I forecast that,within a year or two, I will have a Pavarotti and Mahalia Jackson howling from my pc DAW supported by a full orchestra, all thanks to SV Vocaliser. This will become, in the audio world, what Photoshop is to graphics artists.

Just now we only have a handful of Voice Banks on our audio palette. SV combines the algorithms of Text to Speech with Melodic phoneme generation and now ChatGPT creates my lyrics

I rest my case

Sinead o connor RIP

1 Like

Yes, all that and more will be available.

But what we choose to use and how far it goes is up to us.

For instance, I have no issue using Synth V [I personally prefer having the auto mode off – I find it intrusive], but I would never use AI to write my lyrics, or music, or generate my ideas. I would rather write bad songs that are full of my own mistakes :slight_smile:

For me, it’s all about a human communication, flaws and all.

The exception to this might be some genres of dance music…but that’s outside my area of experience.

1 Like

Thats the way to do it said Mr Punch

I had ChatGPT write a song for my Postie Lady who visits most days
Thought I’d set it to some 12 bar riff with a samba bg
The lyrics went
Ho Wait Missus Postie
Look and see
Is there a package
a package for me…

Whats not to like :partying_face:

Its a break from studying 11C plaint chant - they didnt have rhythm nor a concept of 4/4 notation. Monks didnt dance so no drums. But they did inspire the beginnings of harmony and counterpoint and they knew about the evil tritone C - F# interval and used it against Bishop’s orders - it was thought to be the voice of the devil.

One day it will make a musical?

1 Like

But they did inspire the beginnings of harmony and counterpoint and they knew about the evil tritone C - F# interval and used it against Bishop’s orders - it was thought to be the voice of the devil.

The Catholic Church never banned the use of the tritone.

The phrase “mi contra fa est diabolus in musica”, (“mi against fa is the Devil in music”) was used in Johann Joseph Fux’s Gradus ad Parnassum. as a warning to students as an interval to avoid because it’s very dissonant, and because it’s a difficult interval to sing.

This made sense, as this “rule” - and most other counterpoint “rules” - assumed the music was to be performed by vocalists.

See: Diabolus in Musica: Did the Catholic Church Ban the Tritone for Being “the Devil in Music”?

1 Like

I am fascinated that such musical sophistication was composed 1200 years ago??? such was the power of Rome. Of course they only had white notes back then and were in thrall of starting octaves at different key roots, C3 being the start Ionian etc

What I find is the astonishing cant spread by centuries of theorists
Q
For the sake of simplicity, the examples shown above are formed by natural notes (also called “white notes”, as they can be played using the white keys of a piano keyboard). However, any transposition of each of these scales is a valid example of the corresponding mode. In other words, transposition preserves mode.[59]
uq

There were no black notes back then, these accidentals only came centuries later

IMHO xposing modes is to dilute the essence of its timbre. Musicians know that a melody doesnt have the same “feel” when its xposed ( much influenced when a singer is involved of course).

Aside - no Jazz music has ever been composed for the G Clarinet - popular in eastern europe :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

IMHO if you want to use a different scale in 12tet then dont usurp the concept of a mode simply because it fits an xposition. A mode is only valid when on its original root note. All else is pretentious

In current context its like moving Solaria out of her vocal comfort zone (which all credit to Eclipse is indeed reflected in change of timbre)

Interesting to compare Solaria singing a classical vocal with simple (non percussive instrument eg flute) and try it in different keys - Like Canteloup Bailero (midi is available) :innocent:

Then thank God they had accurate pitch pipes for a standard everyone agreed with 1200 years ago :thinking:

1 Like

try Perotin - Viderunt Omnes, Sheet Music + Audio - YouTube
right ravers they were, monking about

I dont know… at the end of the day, a listener makes the music their own and make it about them, just like how every sad love song is exactly about your life when you’re crushing on someone :crazy_face: so whatever “genuine” purpose I put in it is really just subjective to me. So my approach is quite diametrical to yours and I’m happy to co op with a computer to generate a lot of things, including lyrics. It’s interesting to be surprised in the making process and still having creative power to deny what you want without your collab partner getting upset

1 Like

Interesting observation. That’s true most of the time, but there are exceptions. For instance, songs that deal with political or social issues, and those that place the listener firmly in the role of observer. The concept of art being a collaboration between the artist and consumer is a deep one.

As for collaborating with AI to generate material, it will be interesting to see how issues like copyright and transparency [when the music is for sale] are handled in a formal way…at least in the short term. In the longer term, I’m sure people will become so used to it that it won’t matter. Just like drum machines and sampling, back in the day.

2 Likes