Various feature requests

I didn’t want to spam by making bunch of threads, so here’s one big thread of requests.

Harmony and duet related features:

• Copy lyrics and paste lyrics function. So you can click a bunch of notes and copy just the lyrics for them, to make it easier to input lyrics for harmonies when starting from imported .mid files.

• Humanize function (possibly non-destructively applicable to whole tracks?) so harmony parts or duets don’t sound unnaturally in-sync.

• Quick transpose button in the track manager that transposes by octaves? This way if you have a song with Renri and you want to see how Genbu sounds, you don’t have to open the track up, select all notes, and transpose 12 semitones.

Glottal effects

• Can you make it a setting in glottal effects (presumably separate from the gain that’s already there) that increases/decreases the volume of the note itself over the range of the glottal effect? I often find I want to use vocal fry, for instance, but adding it makes that part of the note distractingly loud, so I have to decrease the loudness everywhere I use it.

• Can you also make it so we can click and drag to select glottal effects so we can delete them or move them, same as you can do with notes in default mode?

• Maybe a prompt confirming you want to overwrite a glottal effect preset?

Quality of life

• Hotkey to change pitch variation from freehand (overlay) to freehand so I can edit note properties more quickly. That or some way to edit note properties while in freehand overlay. It’s really tedious to change to overlay, draw pitchbends, change to freehand, right click, change vibrato settings, change back to overlay, etc.

• Make it so that if you start typing on a selected note, it will let you input text as if you had double clicked it. Like in Vocaloid. Unless that’s patented again.

• Can you make it so right-click + drag (or Ctrl+Click + drag) does selection in note creation note the same way click and drag selects in default mode?

• If the file hasn’t been saved before, Ctrl+S should go to Save As instead of doing nothing.

• The default file name to save to when you render to file should be the project name, rather than “output.”

Other

• Make it possible to edit vibrato volume depth separately from vibrato pitch depth. Unless this would make things too complicated for the average user.

These next things are more specific to me so idk if you’d want to do anything about them, but I prefer to have note properties default to start vibrato at 0 sec, and to set the vibrato envelopes to 0 to start with, so I can just use it to draw vibratos wherever I want without having to worry about if it’s before the vibrato start point or not. But new notes always default to vibrato envelopes being at 1x. Would it be possible to make it so you can set a different default value for new notes?

「いいね!」 4

Wow that’s a long list of feature requests. Many thanks for writing this up.
Part of my responsibility, aside from adding new features is to prevent adding the wrong features. So I’ll start reviewing and letting you know which are doable and which can’t be decided yet. Meanwhile, opinions are welcome.

「いいね!」 5

Things that already work

Copy lyrics and paste lyrics function.

You can copy lyrics by selecting the notes, go to input lyrics, and don’t do anything. You’ll find the lyrics in the text box.

Can you make it a setting in glottal effects (presumably separate from the gain that’s already there) that increases/decreases the volume of the note itself over the range of the glottal effect?

I’m not sure how would that differ from “gain that’s already there”.
You may find this thread relevant:

Hotkey to change pitch variation from freehand (overlay) to freehand so I can edit note properties more quickly.

The hotkey for that is not mapped by default but you can set it here.
Screenshot%20from%202019-01-14%2019-20-31

Things being considered

Humanize function (possibly non-destructively applicable to whole tracks?) so harmony parts or duets don’t sound unnaturally in-sync.

I am also thinking about something similar (e.g. adding natural & random fluctuations). Need to do more research on this topic. Anyone else find this useful?

Can you also make it so we can click and drag to select glottal effects so we can delete them or move them, same as you can do with notes in default mode?

How about making it behave the same as the piano roll (except for being 1-D)?

Maybe a prompt confirming you want to overwrite a glottal effect preset?

Will do.

Make it so that if you start typing on a selected note, it will let you input text as if you had double clicked it.

WASD are already mapped to piano roll navigation. How about pressing Enter and edit the lyrics?

If the file hasn’t been saved before, Ctrl+S should go to Save As instead of doing nothing.

Will do.

The default file name to save to when you render to file should be the project name, rather than “output.”

Will do.

Do we really need this?

Quick transpose button in the track manager that transposes by octaves?

Space on the track manager is limited. More opinions needed to tell if does more good than harm.

Can you make it so right-click + drag (or Ctrl+Click + drag) does selection in note creation note the same way click and drag selects in default mode?

Anyone else find this helpful or will this get in your way when trying just to right click?

Make it possible to edit vibrato volume depth separately from vibrato pitch depth. Unless this would make things too complicated for the average user.

A change like this will break compatibility with existing projects.

「いいね!」 5

Quality of life fixes?

That’s tickled me. :grinning:

Can you make it so right-click + drag (or Ctrl+Click + drag) does selection in note creation note the same way click and drag selects in default mode?

I would find this helpful. Also, the ability to CTRL+drag a note selection to copy it on the fly would be incredible.

「いいね!」 1

Wow, can’t believe I missed so much!

Would love this. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be to the scale of this but it would certainly be appreciated as an option if at all possible.

What the actual… Yeah, I think we can assume that the “humanize” feature won’t be that kind of literally humanize feature, and will be the typical kind that just randomizes, lol. (I mean, that is super attractive though, and if that’s gonna be in Cevio or in basically any consumer vocal synth, my wallet will be hurting this year…) However, I was actually just hoping for something that will slightly randomize note timing and add some variation to pitch. Like the job plugin that comes with Zola Project, or the Humanize job plugin (presumably they do the same thing).

@khuasw I’m not sure what you mean by 1-D? Also, the gain in glottal effects can’t be negative, for instance. A lot of times, the effect makes the note too loud even with 0 gain and I have to manually lower the volume wherever I use it using Loudness.

Pressing enter to enter lyrics is fine, too!

If it would get in anyone’s way while right clicking, it could always be ctrl + click instead. But personally, I don’t think I’ve ever used the right click to paste before, and that’s seemingly all it can do.

「いいね!」 1

This please. I constantly find myself drawing giant notes on top of everything because I always right click+drag to select out of habit. And not having to interrupt my workflow every 5 seconds to toggle the select and draw tools would be a massive convenience.

Regarding right clicking getting in the way, I know REAPER allows right click+drag to select in addition to having a drop down menu for commands with just a right click. It works well because you can right click and drag to select and then immediately right click the selection with the same hand motion and it reduces a lot of jumping back and forth between opposite sides of the screen and back and forth from the mouse to the keyboard.

Also, a request (or maybe it already exists and I don’t realize it?) but would it be possible to allow custom note preview sounds. I.e., the ability to choose a different sound clip other than the default clarinet thing to use as the note preview when drawing notes. I find the clarinet a little intrusive and would rather load in a clip of the singers saying “la” or some such.
Never mind. This is why I shouldn’t post about desktop programs when I don’t have access to my computer to check first.

「いいね!」 1

You don’t need to toggle select and draw tools when you can just double click to place a note.

@pantran @corasundae @Fealow
I’m seeing a lot of different and somewhat conflicting requests for assignment of mousewheel, clicks and key combinations to navigation and note creation commands. How about this - adding a bunch of switchable modes like Cubase mode, Vocaloid mode, REAPER mode, … and for example, you’ll see pointer/eraser/pencil buttons appearing on the top if you opt into Vocaloid mode. It’ll take some time to implement that many modes though.

「いいね!」 5

That sounds like a good idea, although I don’t really know what you mean by the buttons appearing on top. I’m really fine with basically just the navigation, hotkeys, and mouse click behavior being different, (i.e., everything that relies on muscle memory.) The way the program is laid out is fine to me.

Why not let people change these things in preferences themselves? Wouldn’t that be less work for you?

Just chiming in a bit, but I think a little handy addition would be a small button (like the note creation mode/mixer panel buttons) to switch the behavior of the auto scrolling / auto page turning to follow the playhead (turning it on or off), so I wouldn’t have to dive into preferences to change it back and forward if needed. On another note is there anything that can be done with having the time signature and tempo sync to the daw automatically when using it as a vst? Not a big deal changing them manually though, I don’t really mind.

「いいね!」 1

@khuasw

Reaper mode sounds quite nice. I’ve gotten used to using synth V a bit differently from Reaper, but it certainly would be nice to change the preferences to have them function similarly in regards to selection and navigation etc…

「いいね!」 3

@khuasw

Sorry for double post but wanted to make sure you saw this.

In regards to a humanization feature:

• Pitch should only be affected during the sustain portion of a note, the attack and release portions of a sung note tend to be less random in real life and more purposeful so should be left alone.

• Note timing could be fluctuated similarly to how reaper’s humanize plugin handles this assuming Synth V’s notes use standard midi? However I can foresee a problem with the pronunciation and placement of consonants if we started adding small random fluctuations to a notes start time as well as notes overlapping. What I would propose instead is randomly varying the syllable onset/offset by small amounts to add subtle differences to the perceived timing of a notes start and end.

「いいね!」 1

That’s would be a great feature, harmonies and double tracks sound very unrealistic now and needs some editing work that would be overridden by a pitch modulation model. I found this paper about the subject very interesting: GENERATIVE MOMENT MATCHING NETWORK-BASED RANDOM MODULATION POST-FILTER FOR DNN-BASED SINGING VOICE SYNTHESIS AND NEURAL DOUBLE-TRACKING

「いいね!」 1

Yes, I have seen this paper but still thanks.

For Humanized your virtuals singers tracks, just add faults manually, it’s will better than a computer :slight_smile:

Looks my exemple with sames notes with different writing. With this, no more problem with phase, or you put a chorus effect on harmony vocal :slight_smile:

It probably won’t be better than a computer’s. The point is doing it automatically is faster. Doing it manually for entire tracks when you have multiple vocals and harmonies is a waste of time that could be better used for something else.

「いいね!」 3

If you want, do your way and I do it my way. it’s freedom magic :slight_smile:

Just when I work for clients, I use this tools, never for me. I prefer take my time and keep control of my production :slight_smile:

Look this on melodyne plugin, this what you’re looking for?
Pitch variation, time variation?

melodyne%20pitch%20variation

「いいね!」 1