Will SynthV be open source?

Hi! Will Synthesizer V be open source in the future? I’d much like to have an open source singing synthesizer that runs on Linux.

Pretty unlikely given that it’s not even technically free as in beer.

「いいね!」 2

The closed source one works just fine does it not?

You need to read a pile of papers plus being a good programmer just to be able to work on this project.
People with the said qualification can get a well-paid job at a company or research institute (or at Dreamtonics, yeah we’re hiring).
But the workload for maintaining this project is remotely beyond what you can do in free time.
So I think it’s an unwise decision to go fully open source.
With that being said, however, some building blocks for the synthesizer has been made open source. I think of this as our responsibility to contribute back to the academia.

「いいね!」 7

Do you think at some point, SynthV could still be made free as in freedom? I wouldn’t ask you to go to the trouble of accepting contributions, I just hope that eventually the software will be released to public domain, or a permissive/copyleft license.

Edit: Also, that sounds interesting. What kind of papers does one have to read?

That seems really unlikely. If someone makes the effort to find distributors and sell something, it’s pretty clear they would like to receive some sort of compensation for their efforts. So to say “I wouldn’t ask you to go to the trouble of accepting contributions” is essentially saying “I wouldn’t ask you to go to the trouble of accepting any sort of compensation at all for your work; you should go from profiting off of your years of work to nothing.”

I would love aspects of Synth V to be more open, but personally I think it’s going way too far to ask him to go from having a new commercial company to basically donating his time and effort in exchange for goodwill (as realistically speaking, as he said, no one is going to have time to work on this kind of thing for free). And Synth V is already practically run on a donation model right now.

「いいね!」 2

So to say “I wouldn’t ask you to go to the trouble of accepting contributions” is essentially saying “I wouldn’t ask you to go to the trouble of accepting any sort of compensation at all for your work; you should go from profiting off of your years of work to nothing.”

sorry for my poor choice of words

I think most music producers don’t care if the software is open source or not. Perhaps we are more interested in voice banks…
In fact there are already some open source engines we can choose. But honestly, I prefer a professional dev team to the open-source community, as for such software for minorities.:yum:

「いいね!」 3