[Beta Version 1.11.0b3] ARA support is coming to SynthV Studio, along with wav-to-MIDI conversion and Spanish language support

Ace Studio has a very cool feature that I wish SynthV had: The ability to combine deferent voices to make a new voice.

You can now try the ARA integration in the 1.11.0b1 beta. Full information here:

Please be mindful of the varying levels of DAW support. “Deep Integration” refers to the automatic association between DAW tracks and SynthV tracks, while “Bridge” refers to improved playback accuracy and tempo synchronization.

Deep ARA Integration ARA Bridge
Studio One 5/6 Yes Yes
Cubase 12/13 Yes Yes
Reaper 6 Yes Yes
Logic Pro (Rosetta/x86) No Yes
Logic Pro (Apple Silicon) No No
Other ARA2-compatible DAWs No Yes* (not verified by Dreamtonics)
「いいね!」 6

Fantastic new feature. It should improve workflow quite a bit.

「いいね!」 1

The new ARA support is wonderful, but it feels like I need to do some weird stuff to make it work.

It seems like it there needs to be an audio item on the Reaper track where you want to insert notes in Synth V. If you move the item in Reaper the notes move along with it in Synth V which is great.

Having an audio item on the track which is unrelated to the vocals feels a little weird, though, and empty items or MIDI items don’t seem to work.

Hopefully, I’m missing something, and I’d appreciate any suggestions for a good ARA workflow in Reaper.

Did you read the instructions provided by Dreamtonics?

Project Structure Synchronization

Synthesizer V Studio ARA Plugin mirrors the host’s project structure by linking note groups with the audio clips in the host. A note group will be created in Synthesizer V Studio for each audio clip in the host with the ARA plugin attached.

Q: Why can’t I enter notes into synced tracks?

A: Under full ARA mode, notes can only exist inside note groups that are linked with the DAW. To create a note, first create an audio clip in the DAW and link it to the ARA plugin, then enter the linked note group.

The link is in the news article mentioned above, but I’ll include it here as well:

「いいね!」 3

If you are trying to quickly move MIDI from your DAW to SynthV Studio, this is not part of the features listed by Dreamtonics. We can likely assume it is either not possible with ARA2’s capabilities, or that it’s a future enhancement for another update.

Remember, ARA was originally made for Melodyne, so its capabilities are very much tailored to analyzing and/or modifying audio clips. I expect it’s unlikely that it would allow a plugin to keep an internal piano roll in sync with the DAW’s, and further unlikely that it could update the DAW’s MIDI if a change is made in the plugin’s piano roll.

A one-click MIDI import would be a nice enhancement for sure, so by all means send an email to Dreamtonics inquiring about it, but there might not be much more they can do with modern DAW integration technologies.

Of course, Dreamtonics has given us two tools that mean you no longer have to export and import a MIDI file to get it into SynthV. By combining synced tracks and voice-to-MIDI integration we can move a MIDI sequence to the plugin more quickly.

1. Assign an instrument to your MIDI sequence (I’d recommend a sine tone for simplicity)
  2. Bounce the clip
    • Most DAWs have a “render in-place”, “quick bounce”, or “consolidate track” type of option that will make this only take a couple clicks
      • I think in Reaper they call this “freeze track” but maybe that’s something different
  3. Use voice-to-MIDI to transcribe the sine tone it into SynthV Studio

(edit: to be clear, it is possible for SynthV Studio to export a MIDI sequence back to the DAW, but not in a note-by-note sense that keeps two piano rolls in sync. See the document from Dreamtonics for full instructions)

「いいね!」 6

Hi Claire, I hadn’t seen that document yet, only watched the video. The description matches my experience, so it seems I didn’t miss anything. Thanks for the link!

That’s not what I was trying to do. I was looking for the easiest way to insert notes into Synth V using the ARA version.

It looks like the fastest way is to create a midi item of the desired length and then bounce it to audio. The only downside is that it creates those files in my project directory where it takes a bit of disk space.

I think I can live with that. Maybe I’ll ask in the Reaper forum if there’s a better way to handle this.

Overall, I’m really happy with the introduction of ARA in Synth V. It makes arranging a track much easier.

That’s a cool idea to get midi into Synth V. I’m going to try that

1. For some reason I cannot get any apparent “ARA integration” on my system (Win 10 and Studio One 6.) When I try dragging the Dreamtonics FX onto an audio track it gives me an error message saying it cannot run the bridge. I think I’m doing everything right, but is there something I’m missing?

2. However can get the feature of converting an audio file to Synth-V notes another way with the beta plugin, by dragging the audio file from a folder into the plugin (the instrument, not the FX) and then right-click and ask it to make the conversion.

3. After making the conversion, if I want to add or edit notes, I have to first select them and “disband group” because the conversion puts them in a group by default. I suppose this will lose some of the ARA sync features, but it I want to edit that way this seems to work.

Have you followed the instructions from Dreamtonics linked above?

You can “enter” a group by double-clicking on it. Then you can modify the group contents without disbanding.

You can “exit” the group to return to the main track by pressing the escape key or clicking the handle below the start of the group.

「いいね!」 2

Thank you Claire, that is helpful.

I could not get the ARA plugin (in FX) to drag into an audio track without getting an error message. So, on a guess, I updated my version of Studio One, and then it worked! So it seems I need Studio One 6.5 or higher, although they list that it works on any version from 5+. I was only using 6.0 with the error message, but 6.5 works. Perhaps the reinstall was all I needed, but all is good now.

「いいね!」 1

I’m having problems getting ARA working in Cubase 13

How do I get the piano roll to appear?
also where in the menus is the dialog allowing me to enter some lyrics in one go?

Which piano roll? The SynthV Studio one or the DAW’s piano roll? You open the SynthV Studio GUI the same as any other VST instrument, the ARA plugin does not change this.

(edit: Here I originally said you have to first add the original VSTi plugin before adding the ARA plugin, however this is not necessarily true for most workflows. The part that is important to note is that the classic VSTi plugin is an instrument, while the ARA plugin applies to each track individually. This means that if you have SynthV tracks that are not associated with an audio clip in the DAW, you may need to create a dummy/empty clip in the DAW for the ARA plugin to sync with, or you could add the VSTi instrument and use it in the bridged mode)

If you can see the plugin and it’s just the piano roll panel that’s missing, did you minimize the piano roll by accident?

Select the notes you want to add lyrics for, then right click and select “Insert Lyrics”. This same option is available under the Modify top menu or by pressing ctrl+L.

「いいね!」 2

The second beta for version 1.11.0 (1.11.0b2) is now available. These are the main changes compared to the first:

• Full ARA support in Cakewalk and Ability 5 DAWs
  • Bugfixes for plugin stability, including desync on render in Cubase
  • Improved performance and accuracy of Voice-to-MIDI conversion
  • More voice database beta versions for Spanish language testing
  • UI enhancements to make it more clear when the user is working with grouped notes vs the underlying track
  • Various other bugfixes

Download 1.11.0b2: Synthesizer V Studio Beta Version - download > English > Synthesizer V Studio Beta Version (dreamtonics.com)

Voice database beta versions: Beta Releases - download > English > Voice Databases > Beta Releases (dreamtonics.com)

The group UI enhancements include two main changes:

• The “handle” below a group is now green, and extends across the full duration of the group.
    • Double-clicking any of the notes in the group will still “enter” the group, but now clicking the handle below is a more usable alternative, because it is no longer only shown below the first note of the group.

• When editing a group, a border will indicate the editable area.
    • As before, clicking the handle below or pressing esc will return to the main track.

「いいね!」 2

I love the quick pace of major updates to the software by Dreamtonics. Way to go guys, awesome job!
Cant wait to try Spanish update for the other voices!

「いいね!」 1

After ARA integration the only thing missing is a clearer interface with a clear indication of bars and their subdivisions! :slight_smile:

「いいね!」 1

I’m finding this Beta takes much longer to load in my DAW - Cubase 13.

Beta version 1.11.0b3 is now available, including a couple improvements to the Piano Roll UI:

• Group indicators are now at the top so they are in closer proximity to other UI elements like the measure indicators and default location of the Arrangement panel, rather than at the bottom where they were somewhat isolated
  • A new button has been added to the top right corner of the Piano Roll to scroll the viewport to the nearest note

Additionally, many bugfixes are mentioned in the update notes for all features added in this update (Spanish support, Voice-to-MIDI, and ARA). This includes fixes for many subtle desync issues, DAW-specific quirks, and more.

Download the latest beta version here:

「いいね!」 7

I have a question about this new feature:

• Piano Roll: allow direct resizing of the note groups by dragging the left and right borders after entering the group (Update from 1.11.0b2).

Shouldn’t changing the size of a group (lengthening or shortening, moving the start, etc.) also affect the other instances of the (connected) group?

Apparently it was programmed differently.
If I copy a resized group (I like to drag it from the Group panel to the track), the copy will still have the original length from the start of the first note to the end of the last.
What are the advantages?

If the resizing affected all instances (and especially the entry in the panel), that would make more sense.
Example: If the notes in a group do not begin on the first beat (syncope), but the group boundaries are on a bar change, then you don’t have to pay so much attention to the grid when copying.

Adjusting the boundaries of a group instance lets you include partial groups. This would be impossible if the boundaries were linked for every instance of a group.

If you want to modify the boundaries of multiple group instances, select them in the arrangement panel before dragging the border.

Also, keep in mind that if you haven’t manually set the boundaries of a group instance, adding new notes will still expand all linked instances to the right just like in previous versions. The boundary positions will only diverge if you manually drag them.

「いいね!」 1

Once again I would like to thank @claire for the explanation! :+1:

Well, I see that and I know it from now on. :slight_smile:

To make the concept clearer for new users, I suggest placing a short text in the group panel (e.g. at the location of the following screenshot) that indicates the change in the boundaries of the respective instance, similar to this is the case when changing pitch.