MACOS SONOMA - LOGIC PRO - SYNV - DAW crashes

This is so weird, I just updated my MAC to Sonoma. I use Logic Pro as my DAW. When I import .wav files bounced from SynV created prior to the update, no problem. When I try to import .wav files bounced from SynV created after the update, Logic Pro crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

I use Sonoma 14.3.1 and Logic 10.8.1 on iMac 2019 (Intel) and I have recently imported several audio files from SynthV (beta3). But by some unknown reason I have exported the files as AIFF and maybe WAV are causing problems? Normally it should not matter which file format you use.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ve been happily importing .wav files from SynV on my Mac Studio with the M1 chip. But it’s only since I did the OS upgrade that I can no longer import new .wav files created through SynV without Logic Pro crashing. BTW, the AIFF format is simply one that you choose when exporting. Maybe that is the default after an update, but if you prefer to export as a .wav file, just choose PCM then .wav.

Hi @Charles_Butler There seems to be all sort of problems with Synth V (I’m using 1.10 version) with Logic Pro and OS Sonoma. I did not have any of my problems before the 14.3 update so something in that update messed up Synth V :frowning:
When you talk about importing wav.files to Logic, are you talking about exporting the Synth V vocals files to Logic Pro? If so, are you using Synth V’s exporting method or using Logic Pro bounce function? Asking this because I only use Logic’s bounce function to export the Synth V vocals as audio files to Logic and this seems to be working alright.

Hi, like you I’m using Logic Pro, Latest Sanoma upgrade and have had no problems until the Sonoma upgrade.
I simply bounce the vocal track using SynV bounce to file method. Then I just drag and drop the created .wav vocal file into the appropriate Logic Pro track. This has worked so easily up until a few days ago until I upgraded my macOS to Sanoma. Strangely though, vocal files created in SynV prior to the Sanoma upgrade can be dragged and dropped. But new vocals made using SynV cause my DAW to crash when I try to import them.

Seems like another problem for Dreamtonics to solve. In the meantime you can get perfect results with Logic bounce function. Just tested it myself and it worked perfectly.

Thanks, I’m not sure exactly what you mean by using the Logic bounce function. I understood that function was used essentially to export regions, tracks or audio files to other applications. That is how I have been using Logic bounce. I don’t understand how Logic bounce can be used to import vocal files.

OH wait, I’m beginning to understand. I have been using SynV as a standalone piece of software, creating vocals, bouncing/exporting the vocal tracks to .wav file(s) then importing them into my Logic Pro DAW. Up until the Sonoma macOS update this proved to be easy and quick.

I’m guessing that you integrate SynV into your DAW as a plug-in? I didn’t know that was possible.

I’ll have to learn how to integrate SynV into my DAW as a plug-in as from what you have just said, the problems I have been having will be solved.

Yes, that’s how I’ve done it. Just beware that Sonoma has brought other challenges to using it as a plug ins that you might not have when using Synth Vas a standalone. Here are few things considering if you want to try it as a plug in:

1. You will need the Pro version of the Synth V
  2. When you insert it a plug in, if your tempo is anything else than 120, make sure you change the tempo before you start using Synth V…after 10 months of using it I just forgot this myself DOH! :slight_smile:
  3. I dont’ want to write manually so I either play the melody in Logic on some MIDI instrument and import it as a MIDI file or I play it in Synth V. This was a case of testing how to to do it in which I found this to be working
  4. Start Logic several bars before your playing starts…hit just the record button…lower your mouse from the record button and then just hover it back again… this would be easier to show the to tell.

The problems that make this method hard are that the visual syncopation in synth V is off…usually about a quarter note late…this is not such a concern to me as I play to what Logic is doing–BUT…the main problem is that the playing itself might have a horrible latency and some of the notes that I play either are late or don’t sound at all. The problem is really strange because sometimes it disappears if I change the Synth V track on Logic’s arrangement page to a different position.

A couple extra notes on using the plug in for Logic. (also Sonoma - trouble free so far)
You can sync the tempo of the two using Project/“Synchronize Tempo with Host” - you do not have to set tempo in SV using this - it will read whatever Logic has.
You can control Logic from within the plug in transport by also using the ARA Bridge (plug-in) Beta version… the two will lock together. (This is a 2nd plug in you download)

I’ve found rather than trying to punch in record on a single track (which is very clumsy) - I just start a new one (workpad track) in the SV plug-in - record my new section, and then copy/move it to the main track when it’s done.

FWIW I’ve never once used SV as a standalone. Only in Logic. I don’t understand why anyone who is a Logic user would - unless they do not have the Pro version (with plug-in).

Thank you @YoreP, @hummersallad and @karyno for your input and advice.

I’ve fixed my problem, all it took was to update Logic Pro to the latest (Duh!).

As to why I use synthV as a standalone instead of integrating it into my DAW, the answer is that I didn’t think of it and I didn’t know that you could. And because I found using it as a standalone so easy, there was no reason to look at using it any other way.

When I first downloaded the software, I had no idea how to use it and I found the official ‘HOW TO’ videos confusing and difficult to watch. Thank God for @Claire and her unofficial guide to SynthV as through her efficient and friendly online help and the user guide, she helped me get over the initial hump and I soon found my feet and have moved forward to where I am now.

Having used SynthV as a standalone piece of software, and having had only positive experiences with using it that way, I find it quick, easy, with no issues with tempo matching or any other problems that have been highlighted. I just create my vocal, bounce it to file, then drag that file into Logic. So simple, quick and bullet proof. TBH, I don’t know why anyone would use it any other way.

I’ve finished the project now, it’s being mastered professionally by Queen House Music. When I get it back, I’ll post it here.

Thanks again for all your help.

「いいね!」 1

@karyno First, thanks…I had overlooked this settings completely! Wow… although I don’t know why this is not a default setting when using Synth V as a plug in.

@Charles_Butler I understand your method now. I guess you do the vocals only after the song is finished? When I’m working with Synth V, I’ve found that I can start doing the vocals quite early when writing a song and still not sure where I’m heading on :slight_smile: In my case I would have to constantly mix the song in different stages on Logic and import it to Synth V.