Question about syllables and more power in vocals

Whenever I try to achieve more powerful vocals, I can’t seem to get the results some people get with their covers. No matter how much I mess around with vocal modes and parameters it keeps sounding too weak for certain songs. I end up quitting a lot of projects because no matter which voicebank I use, the vocals feel too soft for the song and it doesn’t work.

Listening to other covers makes me realize it’s possible but I’m not sure how anymore. I once read about being able to edit your SVP as a notepad file to manually enter vocal mode parameters and go over the limit of 150 but I’m not sure if that’s something people commonly do or if it was some kind of bug that’s patched.

When I mention more power I’m not necessarily referring to screams or growls. It’s mostly lacking expression. Like covering a breakup or rock song and wanting it to sound more…angry?

Solaria seems to be doing a bit better when it comes to power because of the belting. Cong Zheng also works quite well. For most other voicebank it mostly goes wrong at the higher notes, as they switch to falsetto rather fast and sound weaker.

I was also wondering about syllables, I keep running into difficulties when it comes to syllables. Especially 3-4 syllable words that are pronounced as if they have less syllables.

For example:
dif-fer-ent but it’s sung as diff rent

What’s the best way to deal with this?

I also have a question about power…hope someone can give some advice!
I 'm not sure if you have used the parameter called tone shift? Like sometimes the vocal is too high, then turn the tone shift down can let the singer sing using true voice, which sounds more powerful.

Adjusting the pitch like this will also help!

Referring to syllables, maybe you can check the length of the phonemes?
If it is too short,you can prolong the time

Not all voice databases can produce powerful vocals. In fact, most of them can’t. It’s entirely dependent on how many powerful or belting recordings were used during development of the product.

Solaria and Ninezero have a lot of power capability when using their vocal modes. Most other English voices do not. Despite Kevin having a “belt” vocal mode, it’s clear there weren’t many belting samples in his original dataset because it doesn’t do much.

“Power” in vocals comes from a few elements:

1. An emotional singer will not have as precise technique as a calm one. By extension of this, “angry” or “emotional” vocals tend to stray further from the exact pitch of the notes. This will be different based on each situation, but you can accomplish this with the Pitch Deviation parameter.
  2. Tone. Adjust the tension, tone shift, vocal modes, and other parameters to get a less relaxed sound.
  3. Mixing. “Big” powerful vocals are often mixed differently, often with some form of distortion (saturation, exciter, etc) or larger reverb. Be careful not to overdo it.
    • Listen to a track you like as a reference and try to identify the ways in which those vocals are distorted (if at all), how much reverb was used, and if/how they used additional vocal layers or doubles to make the vocals sound larger than they are.
  4. Growl. SynthV Studio has no official support for this, and the best option we have (RV Growl) is a rather difficult-to-use script.
    • While there is no growl function in SynthV Studio, you can produce other vocal effects like voice cracks or vocal fry by using the parameters and timbre retakes. The exact method will vary based on the notes and voice database being used.

If you want a word to be pronounced differently, you need to use a different phoneme sequence than the default.

Human vocalists rarely sing lyrics with perfect enunciation. If you never change the phonemes of your notes, you’re probably not going to get a very natural sounding result.

Looking at the word “different” we can see three syllables by default:

If we want this to be pronounced quickly, as “diffrent”, we can either do this by manually entering the new phonemes above the notes, or by adding a new dictionary entry.

「いいね!」 4