Can Synthesizer V Run on a Virtual Machine?

One of our studio computers is a music production machine running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

There are a ton of legacy music softwares installed on this machine which are incompatible with newer Windows.

That’s why I can’t upgrade to Windows 10 for this machine.

When I double click the exe file of Synth V Pro 1.9.0, the installer was locked by a Windows version checker and does not proceed.

I tried to modify system registry entry to trick the installer thinking I am Windows 10, but it didn’t work.

Therefore, I will have to go and install VMWare or VirtualBox on that Windows 7 computer for a Windows 10 virtual machine, in order for the installer to work.

Can anyone confirm that Synthesizer V Studio Pro can be installed and run on a Windows 10 virtual machine?

Or, is there a possibility of that Synthesizer V can be run natively on Windows 7?

Thank you for your advice.

I would first test it with the free Basic Version. I did such a test with a macOS VM in Parallels Desktop and it worked.

Can you share your testing specifics?

Are you running a MacOS VM inside a Windows Host, or the other way around?

What is the version of your Windows, 7, 8 or 10?

What is the version of your SynthV, 1.9.0 or later?

Are you using VirtualBox or VMWare?

Are you running Type 1 Hypervisor (Bare Metal) or Type 2 Hypervisor (Intermediary)?

Were you successful on the first try without further tweaking?

Did you try on SynthV Basic version only or both the Basic and the Pro version?

Synthesizer V Studio does not run on Windows virtual machines:

Claire, you have tried to run SynthV in a Linux VirtualBox VM, and it worked.

Other people tried to run SynthV in a Windows VM of Type 2 Hypervisor, and they failed.

However, if you use VMware Pro, you can create an ESXi VM, which is a Type 1 Windows Hypervisor, directly based on the hardware, without going through a host OS.

In theory, Type 1 VM is similar to Windows dual boot, so SynthV will work, right?

No, I tested a MacOs Sonoma 14.4.1 VM running on Parallels Desktop on an iMacPro with macOS Ventura.

I did this test to check out the grafix bug, that SynthV has on macOS 14.3 and above.

For my test I used the free Basic version 1.10 of SynthV and I tested with Asterian Lite.

Nothing special … everything worked at once … as usual with audio stuff on macOS. That’s why I left Windows in 2015.

That probably doesn’t work.
For testing purposes, I copied the program files from the Windows basic version to a Win7 partition and tried to start the program. The following error message appeared:

Some programs refuse to be installed on older operating systems, but would still run.
With SynthV you probably have no chance of running it under Win7.

might need to see if there are any runtime libraries to be installed. also set compatibility on the properties?

You are right on this one. In the past, I tried all sorts of unsupported programs on Windows 7, such as Adobe, Cubase, Python, CUDA, and they all worked like a charm. You just need to go inside the installer and modify some code.

SynthV is not the case, it does need Windows 10 .dll libraries in order to function.

You are using Windows 7 in 2024? :dizzy_face:

That’s right, I am using Windows 7 in 2024 and will continue using it until 2034.

Having said that, I do have VMware installed with a Windows 10 Pro 22H2 virtual machine running.

So, 90% of my production software are running on native Windows 7, and the remaining 10% including SynthV, are running on Windows 10 and Linux VMs.

Windows 10 is not an operating system, but an adware and bloatware developed by Microsoft, trying to annoy its users as much as it can. I can’t stand it!

「いいね!」 1

That was already told about XP. My main reason to switch from Windows to Mac is the fact, that no Windows machine is silent enough for mic recordings.

I face the same problem, and I use the free Audacity to remove the background noise after recording.

Having said that, I still believe Windows 7 is the best Operating System in the human history.

SynthV banning Windows 7 and Windows virtual machine, will make them lose lots of potential customers.

Too much hassle. I prefer using a silent Macbook Pro.

No it isn‘t, fist because it is no longer supported, that means no security updates anymore, which would require to use it offline … no, thanks.

Furthermore every Windows version is always a struggle to get rid of latencies. I always needed to get rid of bloatware and do an OS fine tuning.

macOS on the other hand never comes with preinstalled bloatware and always works at once without latencies in music production.

Ok, macOS also isn‘t perfect, but for my taste it is the best OS for music production.

I highly doubt. On the contrary, macOS is considered the worst OS for music production.

Apple’s biggest problem is: compatibility.

In other words, 90% of the software on GitHub are not going to work on a macOS computer.

If you are doing music production as a hobby, yes please, use Apple as all you wish.

However, if you are serious about music production as professional work, and dealing with the newest AI powered music software, then Windows is the only way.

LOL

If you would have ever used it, you would know, that this is complete nonsense. Many Pro studios use macOS exactly for that reason … it’s pretty hassle free and plug and play, no fiddling with drivers and complex configurations and searches for the source of latencies. It works at once.

And ALL the plugins I use are available for macOS (and Windows).

The only downside of macOS is, that every new major release causes incompatibilities, so you have to wait with the update until all third parties, e.g. Native Instruments, have updated their stuff to be compatible with the new version.

got my comfy chair, wine, a big bowl of popcorn. :upside_down_face:

「いいね!」 1