VST Save to external file

Just a question about the “Save to external file” feature in the plug-in.

I always save to an external file. Previously, I needed to do “cmd + s” inside the plug-in.
The option is now “greyed out” in the “File” menu.

Does this mean it actually gets saved automatically? (That does not seem to be the case)

I’m saving to an external file now manually every time I finish making some edits.

I also use external files, because I then can edit in the DAW as well as with the standalone app.

So far I always created the file in the standalone app and opened it in the VST in Studio One … works like a charm and might be a nice workaround for you.

「いいね!」 2

FWIW (Tip) I’ve been using Save As - and creating new timestamped revisions when I make significant changes, so I have backup files to go to in the event of total loss of data (after it happened to me twice!) or corrupt files.

The size of these files are tiny and it’s worth it to me to have that backup.

「いいね!」 2

Thanks for the insights!

also useful if exporting the audio (standalone) - add a rev # to the file name prefix - this way you can also preserve previous audio exports - i do this after i have my baseline, then do a save-as + rev # on the file, then play with the takes, and any small tweaking. i can also readily compare the baseline to the takes to decide where i want to go “manual” on parts.

「いいね!」 2

That’s the main reason to always use external files. But I also find it sometimes handy to edit in standalone instead of the DAW … if fine tuning the vocals, you usually don’t need the music, but the pure vocals.

true. i’d say 95% of the time i’m using standalone. my DAW project is exported as WAV, NOVOX WAV and MP3. i simply drag the NOVOX WAV into my SynthV project after setting the primary tempo, then i’ll go through the project (referring to my sheet music) and add any tempo changes. save it as the template for the project. then save as V1 and import any MIDI (or begin writing in the notes) and add lyrics). export the voices as audio and bring into my DAW project and export again. now i have an MP3 to listen and think about what changes i want to make. for the instrument tracks, just updating the DAW project and re-exporting the NOVOX WAV, then opening the SynthV project refreshes it (since their linked).
fairly easy and little or no possiblity of messing up the main DAW project or any of the vocal projects.

Same issue with this new version.
See my own post (without any response yet : 2 days!).

in Cakewalk, i see a Save-As (as well as the export options). the Crtl+Shift+S is the keystroke.

Maybe, with Cubase it is CTRL-S only but with the last edition, it is currently disabled inside DAW (bug).