Journey to the Beginning of Time -- 18-minute Prog Rock adventure

Natalie and Saros take us on an 18-minute journey from the past to the future. An homage to Rick Wakeman’s 1974 classic “Journey to the Center of the Earth”.

Yes, I know these long-form retro Prog Rock extravaganzas are not for everyone, but SynthV (and AI image generation) has allowed me to create music and visuals that I couldn’t even dream of back in the olden days when I was establishing my musical roots (and recording on ¼” tape). Maybe fellow Prog fans and other adventurous listeners might find it entertaining.

Observant viewers might recognize the original space animations borrowed from a Saros piece I posted a few months back called “Far Away”.

Thanks for checking it out - and hanging till the end.

「いいね!」 14

I like it very much, beautiful work. However, I am used to listening to these beautiful songs that are longer than ten minutes, that I close my eyes slightly, but what I was able to perceive visually, it is power and it probably took a lot of work to arrange it so that the video and music support each other. I have a similar memory of a song by Uriah Heep - Salisbury, I couldn’t tear myself away from it. I wouldn’t dare to do a video, I understand music better - even if only an amateur, and probably not for the length of the song either, because I’m criticized that some of my songs are longer than five minutes. But I don’t make songs for the radio and I don’t take money for them, I have fun while creating and that’s the main thing for me. I will definitely come back to your song many times and try to keep my eyes open at least once.

「いいね!」 1

very cool.

it was surprising to me how little recognition Rick Wakeman’s Journey To The Center Of The Earth" got. it was one of my first records i purchased as a kid. i think though maybe the production was a bit overblown for it’s time - esp - the ice capades portion… lol.

「いいね!」 1

Thanks for taking a look and the nice comments. I like doing the visuals, but I also appreciate the power of imagination when the listener fills in the visual part with things close to them.

「いいね!」 1

I think Journey was thought of as too bombastic and over the top for its time, but lots of people have grown to love and appreciate it. It showed a 16-year-old me that music could be more than 3 chords in 3 minutes (though nothing wrong with that :wink:), orchestras could be cool, and that a big story in music could be an amazing experience. Thanks for giving it a look - and maybe bringing back some good memories.

「いいね!」 2

Right up my alley!

「いいね!」 1

SynergyV . . . .A very interesting project and certainly a fitting tribute to “The Man”!

As you may recall - I’ve sung (Choir) for Rick since 1974. I MISSED the original “Journey” recording by a heartbeat - but went on to perform it at Crystal Palace in '74.
We recorded the original “Arthur” at Morgan Studios in '75 and later performed it (famously) “On Ice” at Wembley Arena over three consecutive nights . . .
(The Entire “Journey” was the encore on each night).

Later on we recorded “Return TTCOTE” at CTI Wembley (now sadly gone).

I missed the re-recording of the 2-CD version of “Journey” - but performed it at the RFH over two nights for Rick’s 70th Birthday . . . .

We recorded the 2-CD vesion of “Arthur” at Angel Studios - and later performed it at the O2, topping the Bill at the Stonefree Festival in 2016? IIRC . . . .

Its been LOADS of fun and Rick is great to work with . . . .

Journey TTBOT is a great piece of work . . . .

Well Done!

:+1:

「いいね!」 2

Hey Steve. Glad you liked it.

I was hoping it would stir some good memories of working with Rick. I’ve always liked Merlin from King Aurthur with the thunderous low Mini Moog lead part. Would have been fun to hear that live. I listened to Return… Quite different with the longer songs, but still enjoyable.

Thanks for the memories and thanks for the nice comments.

You’re welcome . . . .

In actual fact, bits of “Return” found their way into the 2-CD “Journey” . . . .

Here’s the first 26 minutes of the RFH gig - (audience video)“Journey” at the RFH (2019) Audience Video 26’

Narration is Robert Powell . . . . Hayley Sanderson and Ashley Holt Vocals

I’m the last guy on the right in the Chorus Front Row :wink:

「いいね!」 1

Great vid. You certainly had a nice view from up there :+1:.

Great Job SynergyV!
Epic, cinematic, “telling” a lot.
very appreciated!
Thank you for sharing
Tato-SU

「いいね!」 1

Thanks, Tato!

When I saw the 18 minute length, I thought… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Then I had a listen.

I love it! :face_holding_back_tears:

No need for images - the music speaks for itself.

That was an excellent journey thanks for sharing. Will you upload it to streaming services? I’ve started a Synth V playlist and I’d love to include it.

Hello, dcuny. Yes, I think the 18 minutes probably scares people off, but I do want to let viewers know what they are in for. Maybe I should leave that off next time. I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the comments. BTW check out my other long Sci-fi piece Follow the Light on the SynergyV YouTube channel.

「いいね!」 1

Hi Skelly. Right now it’s just on YouTube, but I will put it up on SoundCloud in a few days and will reply with the link. Thanks for the comment.

so cool… but the drum sound… o_O

「いいね!」 1

Hi, Raico. So drums sounding flat? Too boomy? Any mix advice welcomed.

Loved it! Well done.