The Unofficial SynthV Studio User Manual

I’ve been looking into generating a PDF version. It would be lacking in some ways, for example all the video examples would be missing, but I expect some people might still find it useful.

In the meantime you can download an offline version of the web-based manual here, for situations where you don’t have an internet connection: Release Offline Version · claire-west/svstudio-manual · GitHub

「いいね!」 2

I’ve added a PDF version alongside the offline release packages (same link as in the previous response).

The manual is still first and foremost a browser-based resource, so the PDF will inevitably be lacking certain elements such as video examples and better navigation/search capability, but it is at least available for those who might find that format useful.

「いいね!」 6

Thank you, you have done a great job…site is lucky to have you do this…Also Synth V is lucky.

「いいね!」 2

Oh you’re the creator of this manual ! You did a great job, DT should pay you for that.

「いいね!」 2

Just realized there is an actual official manual here:
https://synthesizerv.com/manual
But it’s clearly not up to date nor as complete as your manual.

「いいね!」 1

Yes, that’s what prompted the creation of the unofficial manual in the first place. The official documentation still refers to the original version of Synthesizer V, which is a completely separate program from SynthV Studio.

The most common sources of confusion about SynthV often stem from two things:

1. People reading outdated information in the official documentation.
  2. People using Instant Mode without realizing it.

Interestingly, the original Japanese term for “Instant Mode” translates somewhat closer to “Simplified Pitch Mode”.

I expect Japanese users know immediately that Instant Mode is meant to be used to get a rough pitch outline for a track, not as the main tuning tool, but the translation choice often directs English-speaking users to assume it’s the main tool.

I’ve been pondering how best to adjust the manual to convey that earlier in the quickstart section, to avoid the common confusion, so that’ll probably be an addition in the near future.

「いいね!」 3

Well to be frank, “instant mode” refers to nothing concrete for me since day 1.
I have then been told it was about autotune, but it was quite vague. I eventually found out about what it does through trial and error. Also the editor uses instant mode even though the “instant mode” button is not highlighted and this, it took me more time to understand.

If instant mode is activated it will recalculate the pitch when you make changes, but once instant mode is disabled all those pitch changes are moved to the parameter panel and they will no longer be recalculated automatically.

This means that if instant mode was ever enabled for a project (unless disabled immediately before adding any notes), you’ll have to either use it as a starting point for your detailed adjustments, or delete the parameter points manually.

You can avoid Instant Mode ever affecting a project by making it default to “disabled” in the settings menu.

「いいね!」 1

Yes but I would have thought the piano roll “instant mode” button was ON when the feature was also ON, and that’s not the case.

Hmm… that sounds like a bug then. I’ve never seen an instance of the button be disabled (dark) while still calculating pitch changes automatically.

Yeah, I also think this is a bug. And actually I was confused this morning as the behavior changed again : now when the button is highlighted, instant mode is on (as would be expected).

「いいね!」 1

If this happens again, I will try to find a way to reproduce it so as to post a bug report.

Thank you for your hard work for everyone!

「いいね!」 2

Hi all, there will be a number of revisions to do for 1.9.0.

As with the previous release I’ll aim to have them completed by the time the full version is out.

If you’re using the 1.9.0b1 beta (Synthesizer V Studio 1.9.0b1 Update: Rap, Cantonese and More | Dreamtonics株式会社) you can refer to the update video by Dreamtonics, but remember that bugs should be expected when using a pre-release version.

edit: I have added the Cantonese phoneme list to the Phoneme Reference page, the rest will be updated once the actual 1.9.0 (non-beta) update is released.

「いいね!」 6

you Sir, are my hero

「いいね!」 2

I just bought and downloaded Synth V last night. And then I find this awesome resource. Thank you Claire! Looking forward to diving in with the software and participating here.

「いいね!」 2

Version 1.9.0 has now been released, and the manual has been updated accordingly. A full list of changes to the manual itself can be found below. Update notes for SynthV Studio can be found on the Dreamtonics website as usual:

https://twitter.com/dreamtonics_en/status/1671427830629154816?s=20

Updates to the unofficial user manual:

• Add 1.9.0 update summary to main page
  • All mention of supported languages now includes Cantonese
  • New page for Pitch Mode: Rap
  • Instant Mode page replaced by “Pitch Mode: Sing”
  • Vibrato and Transition page repurposed as an introduction to Pitch Modes, and existing content moved to “Manual Pitch Mode” page
  • Introduction to Instant Mode page removed
  • Adjusted Voice Panel options to reflect new defaults for Sing/Manual modes
  • Adjusted Settings Panel options to reflect new Default Pitch Mode option and removal of Instant Mode default setting
  • Vibrato Envelope now also applies to the vibrato portion of AI-generated pitch deviations from “Sing” pitch mode
  • Remove Instant Mode button from existing screenshots
  • New page for Context (right-click) menus
  • Vocal Modes page moved to Parameters section
  • Add description for “Select Parameters for Notes” on Editing Parameters page
  • AI Retakes page now refers to pitch modes instead of instant mode
  • Revised wording of the Timbre Retakes description
  • Add “Randomness and Probability” section to AI Retakes page
  • Added undocumented script functions and properties to the Scripts page
  • Add TiredBee’s phoneme chart to the Phoneme Reference page
  • Minor clarification about creating new tracks and selecting instrumental files
  • Clarifications about importing MIDI files and tempo changes
  • Various minor wording improvements, typo corrections, etc.
「いいね!」 6

Does anyone have experience with this new release? I am cautious to change/update. in the event that The voices do not sound the same or the controls or parameters are not working the same as previous version… any thoughts or comments appreciated of things to check for.

「いいね!」 1

As one who was a bit fearsome to upgrade after 1.6 ( Now on 1.8) I would also like to hear from people who have upgraded and opened an older project . Sounds the same? After a previous update to 1.6 I had massive amounts of vibrato that I manually had to remove.18 went a lot smoother so I have high hopes. Still a bit of feedback from others would be reassuring. Thanks!

I haven’t had much time to work with the software since 1.9.0 released, so I can’t really help much with the prior two comments. I was hoping someone else would be able to offer a bit of insight.

If you’re worried about things changing between versions, you can try the following:

1. Make sure you have a copy of the installer for the version you’re accustomed to
  2. Backup your SVP files in case you accidentally press Save while experimenting in the new version
  3. Update the software, load an SVP you’re familiar with, and see how/if things have changed
  4. If things sound different in a way you don’t like, try using 1.9.0 with the older version of the voice database
  5. If you still don’t like the results, run the old installer from step 1 to downgrade

When loading SVP files created prior to 1.9.0, it should adapt the previous Instant Mode setting to the new Pitch Mode settings without changing the pitch line, however if it doesn’t you might need to adjust some options in the Settings panel. (specifically, the “Note Default Pitch Mode” option and the checkboxes below it).

「いいね!」 2